About the role
At Root, we're a passionate team on a mission to simplify the complex world of tech in financial services, packaging the hard things behind easy to use, developer-first APIs. We're focused on creating a better world by building a platform to enable others to innovate easier, to actually focus on their customers.
We are looking for an experienced full-stack software engineer who will be responsible for building out new features and functionality across the entire stack. You will be continually expanding and refining Root's platform to enable clients, whilst being on the forefront of handling the increasing scale and ensuring reliability.
You'll be working with the product and ops teams to build features and tools that enable us to augment and optimize human involvement in the processes of launching new products on the Root platform (automate all the things!). You'll be working on a fast iteration cycle with interesting technologies, shipping code and seeing results frequently.
This full-time role is based at out Kloof Street office in Cape Town and comes with a few perks such as catered lunch, snacks, coffee, and secure parking. Root is part of the FireID family of companies, including Offerzen, SnapScan, Luno and JourneyApps. You can read more about Root here, and our culture here.
What you’ll do
- Work with passionate engineers and product team members and drive toward the vision of Root's platform
- Build on projects including our web front-end, internal operations systems and tools, platform scaling, and our developer-first APIs using React and Node.js
- Design, build and maintain APIs and systems across our products and tools
- Learn how to use Node.js in a production environment (hint: start with TypeScript)
- Work on interesting technical and scaling challenges
- Be deeply involved in understanding, contributing and participating in architectural and feature design decisions
- Write impactful code that directly affects users and the company
- Write backend infrastructure and front-end code for billing, payment processing, policy lifecycle, analytics, and other features
- Debug production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack
- Actively improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes
- Write maintainable code with extensive test coverage
- Contribute to shared and open-source libraries maintained by Root
- Embrace the culture of an warm and inclusive team; supporting others is expected from all
What you need
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent working experience
- 2+ years in industry as a developer working with business critical systems
- Proficient in backend technologies like Node.js, Rails, Go, Python, etc.
- A passion for high-quality software development and backend technologies
- Friendly, transparent, articulate and driven to succeed
- Curious learner
At Root, we're looking for people with passion, integrity and an appreciation for high-quality products. If you feel like your experience doesn't precisely match the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. Come join us to build the future!