About the position
We’re looking for an experienced product (UI/UX) designer to come help us create and maintain a world-class digital product. You will be responsible for the user interface design standards at Root and for ensuring the product is optimized for improved usability, usefulness, and exceptional visual design.
In this role you will be working closely with the engineering team to conceptualise, prototype and ship new features and enhancements. You will also be engaging with clients directly to observe and learn how they use the product and how we can improve it.
This full-time role is based at our De Waterkant office in Cape Town but will be fully-remote during COVID-19.
At Root, you’ll be working in a high-performance team with great people, learn a lot, and grow fast.
About the team
Our team is made up of smart, passionate and kind individuals working together to build a great world-class company. We take time to know and support each other on a personal level - over and above the daily team lunches, we do frequent team outings and ad-hoc adventures (when global pandemics permit).
We are prepared and eager to change and evolve. We actively invest in personal improvement and knowledge sharing, and there’s never a shortage of thoughtful feedback from team members. We focus on transparency and explicit communication as a core aspect of our culture. You’ll have direct input into improving our product and operations.
What you’ll do
- Investigate user experience design requirements across our web-based product.
- Produce high-quality UX design solutions through wireframes, visual and graphic designs, flow diagrams, storyboards, site maps, and prototypes.
- Design UI elements, screens, and tools for our internal UI design library.
- Develop and conceptualize a comprehensive UI/UX design strategy for the Root brand.
- Identify and troubleshoot UX problems across the product.
- Constantly iterate on the product’s design based on user feedback.
- Work closely with the engineering team to prototype and ship high-quality features and changes.
- Engage with clients to observe, learn and optimize the product user experience.
- Collaborate with other teams to ensure the creation and delivery of a consistent customer experience.
- Provide advice and guidance on the implementation of UX research methodologies and testing activities in order to analyze and predict user behaviour.
- Create and adhere to style standards on typography and graphic design.
- Combine creativity with an awareness of the design elements.
- Stay up to date on current industry trends.
What you’ll need
- A Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 4 years’ UI/UX design experience for digital products or services.
- A portfolio of professional UI/UX design work for web platforms.
- Working knowledge of the following technologies and software: Sketch, InVision, Visio, HTML, CSS (SCSS), Design Systems, etc.
- A team player but can work independently too.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Meticulous and diligent.
- Multi-tasking and time-management skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks.
What you’ll get
This is a fantastic opportunity to learn a lot and help scale an exciting product-focused tech startup. You’ll get to meet many people in the industry, and constantly learn new things. Your role involves working with experts across the financial, regulatory and tech industry. You’ll get to work in a fast-moving and focussed startup environment with a team of highly talented and passionate people.
This role also comes with perks such as catered lunch, snacks, coffee, secure parking, cool equipment and autonomy to take control and run your mission.
Apply now to hear more!