About the role
We’re looking for a senior software engineer to join our team at Root. You will be managing core product architecture, implementing modern serverless computing to power RootCode and be building for massive scale. You will be building features and functionality across the entire stack.
Working with us will provide you the opportunity to do the following things:
- Manage core product architecture on a developer-first platform
- Design and build cloud-based systems to handle large scale
- Ensure the platform is highly robust, reliable and secure for our enterprise clients
- Be at the forefront of modern serverless computing in the financial services industry
- Work in a clean, cloud-first codebase
- Work in a top-class, passionate engineering team
- Mentor other engineers in the team
- Work with an experienced entrepreneurial team (Luno, SnapScan, OfferZen, etc.)
- Embrace the culture of a warm and inclusive team
At Root, we're a passionate team on a mission to simplify the complex world of tech in financial services. We believe that developers are the inventors and creators of the future — and we’re building tools that pave the way. Root is a developer-first platform packaging all the “hard things” (regs, complexity, etc) behind easy to use APIs, empowering companies to prototype, build and launch new products, fast.
Our office is based in Kloof Street, Cape Town and comes with a few perks such as daily catered lunch, snacks, coffee, and secure parking. Root is part of the FireID family of companies, including OfferZen, SnapScan, Luno and JourneyApps.
About the team
Our team is made up of smart, passionate and kind individuals working together to build a great company. We take time to know and support each other on a personal level - over and above the daily team lunches, we do frequent team outings and ad-hoc adventures.
We are prepared and eager to change and evolve. We actively invest in personal improvement and knowledge sharing, and there’s never a shortage of thoughtful feedback from team members. We focus on transparency and explicit communication as a core aspect of our culture.
We love to work with other self-starters who enjoy an environment of autonomy. If these are the things you value, please apply!
What you need
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent working experience
- 6+ years in industry as a developer working with business critical systems
- Proficient in backend technologies like Node.js, Rails, Go, Python, etc.
- A passion for high-quality software development and backend technologies
- Friendly, transparent, articulate and driven to succeed
- Curious learner
At Root, we're looking for people with passion, integrity and an appreciation for high-quality products. If you feel like your experience doesn't precisely match the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. Come join us to build the future!