Root Wealth Ltd ("we", "our", "us"), operating as Root, is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
When does this Policy apply?
You agree that this Policy will apply when you access or use our Website. This Policy will apply to you, and will create a legally binding contract between us, whenever you use or access our website.
This Policy is important to us. We are committed to taking steps to protect your privacy when you use our website and implementing business practices that comply with all relevant legislation, including the Protection of Personal Information Act, 4 of 2013 ("POPI"). In this Policy, we explain how we will use and protect your Personal Information.
What is Personal Information?
If we refer to "Personal Information" or "Information" in this Policy, we mean Personal Information as defined in POPI. It includes, for example, your full name, surname, email address, identity number, contact details, and location.
Information we may collect from you
We may collect and process the following personal data about you:
- Information that you provide directly via our website or mobile application, for example during registration;
- Information that you provide when you enter a competition or promotion sponsored by us or third parties, and when you report any problem with our website;
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence, including any phone number, recording of the call, email address you use, copy of email content;
- Information that you provide when completing surveys that we use for research purposes;
- Details of transactions (including details of payment cards both physical or virtual) that you carry out through our website, mobile application, or using your Root card.
- Details of your usage of our mobile application, website and API including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, logs, error and crash reporting, and other communication data and the resources that you access.
- Information available about your usage or configuration of your mobile device, including the presence of other applications, unique device-identifying information, and any cellular network, IP, wifi or bluetooth data;
- Information you give us explicit permission to access from your mobile device, including your address book, geolocation, data from your cameras. You may choose not to give permission to share this data, but it may restrict the usage of certain features of the mobile application;
- Information from any social network or other online accounts that you choose to share with us.
Use of personal information
We process personal information for the purposes of:
- providing you with our services;
- monitoring, analysing and improving those services;
- prevention of money-laundering, fraud & illegal activities, and the prosecution of offenders;
- direct-marketing of our products and services, advising you of news and industry updates, events, promotions and competitions, reports and other information and carrying out market research campaigns;
- form a view of you as an individual and to identify, develop or improve products that may interest you;
- Carry out market research, business and statistical analysis;
- Carry out audits;
- Perform other administrative and operational tasks like testing our processes and systems;
- comply with our regulatory or other obligations; and
- providing you with information, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes.
We will not share identifiable personal data with third parties for the purposes of direct marketing without your explicit consent.
We may use and disclose information in aggregate (so that no individuals are identified) for marketing and strategic development purposes.
Use of IP addresses and cookies
We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system information and to report aggregate information to our advertisers. This is statistical data about our users' browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
They enable us to:
- Estimate our audience size and usage pattern;
- Store information about your preferences, and so allow us to customise our website according to your individual interest;
- Speed up your searches; and
- Recognise when you return to our website.
Where we store your personal data
The data we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside of South Africa. If you continue to use our website, you expressly agree that we may transfer the Information cross border for these purposes. We will only share Information cross border to recipients who have similar laws like POPI that apply to them, or who entered into an agreement with us to include the relevant POPI principles.
Disclosure of your information
We may disclose your personal information to any member of our group of companies, which includes our subsidiaries, our ultimate owner and any undertakings owned by it.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets;
- If Root Wealth Ltd or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets;
- If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our Terms and Conditions or other agreements; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of us, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction;
- If you give explicit permission to do so.
Access to information
You have a right to access the personal data held about you or to obtain a copy of it. Any access request may be subject to a statutory fee to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you. We may ask you to verify your identity and for more information about your request. To obtain a copy of the personal information we hold about you, please email us at email@example.com
Other applicable terms
If you have any requests concerning your personal information or any queries with regard to these practices please contact us through emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lodging a complaint
If you believe we are using your Information unlawfully, you may lodge a complaint to the Information Regulator with the following contact details:
- Website: http://www.justice.gov.za/inforeg/index.html.
- Address: SALU Building, 316 Thabo Sehume Street, Pretoria.
- Contact number: 012 406 4818.
- Fax number: 086 500 3351.
- Email: email@example.com.